All Dog Foods Are Not The Same
What the Heck Is Organic Dog Food Anyway?
OK, here’s the skinny… “raw”, or “organic” Dog Food contains no preservatives or chemicals. Raw organic dog meat should have no added chemicals or hormones, and should be of the free range variety. Organic vegetables are great for dogs as well and are an excellent addition to the diet of your dog.
Raw organic dog food is an excellent choice for your dog’s health for a variety of reasons:
1. Healthier coat and skin: Raw organic dog food can help prevent dermatitis, itchiness and other skin conditions.
2. Assists in the proper and healthy functions of the digestive and immune systems in your dog: This is probably the greatest of all benefits, and will help your dog in the fight against disease, parasites and degeneration.
3. No need to brush your dogs teeth: The raw organic meat and vegetables clean your dogs teeth without the need for you to brush them (not our favorite job, by the way!)
4. Greater vitality and energy: Your dog will feel better and therefore, will have more energy! Your dog will live longer since he won’t be exposed to the toxins of processed dog food.
Raw organic dog food is available from specialty pet stores. Most supermarkets and general pet stores do not stock organic raw dog food. Some supermarkets stock raw meat for pets, however I am yet to see an organic variety there.
Some raw organic dog food ingredients are:
- Fresh garlic
- Grapefruit seed extract
- Amino acids
- Flax seeds
- Organ meats such as liver and heart
You may notice that many of these ingredients are good for human health as well, although you may flinch at eating raw heart! LOL
Raw organic dog food is a diet that your dog will thoroughly enjoy. It is worth experimenting with to see if it makes a notable difference to your pet’s health.
You’ll be amazed at the raw foods your dogs love. Each dog is different, and I even see that between my 3 miniature schnauzers. Many foods you would usually write off and say, “They won’t eat that”…you’ll be surprised they will eat, and love it, and ask for more.
Here at Natural Pet Marketplace, our pups like: tomatoes, raw turnip, peppers, celery, carrots, oranges, banana, apples (but not the skins), nuts, seeds, lettuce, garlic, onion and of course any meat.
After all, if your dog were in the wild, what would they be eating? They would eat small animals they either catch or scavenge, grass (aids in digestion), roots, fruit and vegetables they might find, nuts on the ground and the list goes on. Of course, it would all be raw and organic…
We try to keep this in mind all the time. Now, our pooches eat 3 different organic, high-end dry dog foods that we mix together. However, on occasion, we also add oats, puffed rice, puffed wheat, apple cider vinegar, omega oils (you can get at your health food store), wheat germ, seeds, nuts and dried fruit. It’s not an exact science…and more about what you have…
On top of these additions, we add herbs and spices. Parsley is essential for digestion and to keep their breath fresh. They get paprika and turmeric, some chili powder, garlic, onion and anything that looks great in the garden.
They get helpings of raw meat at least once a week.
In their water, we sometimes add a few drops of mint oil, cinnamon oil or clove oil to freshen breath and give them a little something different. However, everything we give them is organic.
Most of all, I don’t want them to get bored. I would hate eating the same thing day-in and day-out! Mix it up for them.
* here’s a tip: Make small batches of different blends of foods: 1. To keep it fresh, 2. To keep them from being bored.
At Natural Pet Marketplace, we pride ourselves in caring only the highest quality organic Dog foods. Thanks for your visit and we hope to be your go-to organic, holistic, and natural pet foods provider.